Friday, January 7, 2011

Crossing over to Track - National Cross looming ahead

     Haven't been here in quite awhile. I owe Kevin Forde a post regarding our hotly contested 800m race last July. Soon enough. For now, as I prepare to run the first race of 2011 and the last cross country event before track season begins, I must remind myself that the training I put myself through is the right training for me. As other post their mileage and workouts, I catch myself wondering if I'm doing enough or running fast enough to keep up with everyone else. A look at a few gold medals from 2010 are enough to convince me the current workload is the correct workload.
     Last year at this time I had put in a great 4 month cycle of training, only to develop a little bit of an IT band/quadriceps fascia issue that disrupted my preparation for Spokane and the US Cross Championships. I spent 8 weeks post-race jogging until the effects of throwing a half-marathon 4 weeks previous to Spokane into the mix finally left my legs.  My mileage is 8 weeks behind last year's load, but I'm okay with that. The quality days are just as good or better than December 09/January 10, and nothing hurts. Can I defend my Cross title? We find out 4 weeks from tomorrow.
     Bowerman teammate Max King has given me a little info about the course, and I think it fits my style of running. I'm looking forward to lacing up the Zoom XC Forevers one more time before digging the track spikes out from under the bed. Well, I actually took them out this morning for a brief moment the check their health. The Mamba's saw their shadow and headed back under for 6 more weeks. Until then, more trail workouts with a few trips to the track to find a little turnover in these old legs. I'm gonna be ready for one last race on the grass.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment