Friday, August 6, 2010

The Return to National Track Championships

     After taking a stab at track racing again in 2009, it was clear I got the bug. I wanted more, and the USATF Master's Track and Field Championships were coming to the west coast. I made a draft training and racing schedule to include the 8k Cross Country Championships in Spokane and a spring of track meets leading to Sacramento.
     A little snafu in late January training didn't hinder my race (too much) in Spokane, as I placed 3rd overall and 1st in the M45 age group. However, I chose to spend the  next 9 weeks  putting in 30 minutes of easy running a day until the IT band/quad fascia was happy again. Then back to work.
     I entered myself in the 5000, 800 and 1500 for Sacramento. The 5/1500 double was a sure thing, but I figured if I was going, I may as well enter all 3. Little did I know what was to come of that!
     The season consisted of 3 meets beforehand: A mile race in Portland, a 5k/800 double in Eugene, and an 800 tune-up race at McKenzie High School about an hour outside of Eugene. Everything went well, although the mile race was difficult due to my work schedule that week (I spent some time at Hayward Field working for CBS at the NCAA meet).
      I hopped in my truck at 6pm on Tuesday the 20th and drove to Weed, California. A great place for a truck stop. I pulled in between a couple semis, laid down the seatback and went to sleep. Arriving in Sacramento the next day, I grabbed my packet and took a 30 minute jog through campus and headed off to Oregon teammate Harold Kuphaldt's house. Nothing better than dinner and a bed in a home before racing.
       Next stop, Day 1 and the 5000m race. Stay tuned.........

No comments:

Post a Comment